Student Job: Special Projects Assistant, Frontend Developer
July 29, 2019
Eligibility Requirements: sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs
Hours: Up to 10 hours/week
Start and End date: Sept 4, 2019 – April 24, 2020
Application close date: Thursday August 28th@11:59pm
Applications are only accepted through the Career Centre. Go to careers.yorku.ca/online-system/ and search for the posting with the JobID.
Under the direction of the Director, the Special Projects Assistant (SPA) will support Dahdaleh Institute for Global Health Research (DIGHR) research through the development of a new web application for using natural language processing in humanitarian response (see dighr.yorku.ca/projects/needs-assessments-nlp/ for details).
Basic Duties and Responsibilities
- Code and test user interface and application components compatible with github.com/kobotoolbox/kpi in collaboration with a team of open source developers
- Demonstrate flexibility by acquiring new skills and taking on new tasks
- Work effectively on project teams using agile development practices
- May have access to highly confidential and sensitive documents (e.g. budgets). Attend all training sessions and meetings, unless in direct conflict with a class. Inform supervisors of any conflicts well in advance if attendance is not possible.
- Stay in regular contact with supervisors and meet regularly to keep all parties informed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Experience working in React.js
- Experience using JSX and a Flux-like architecture would be a plus
- Development work with web applications and RESTful web services
- Experience with HTML5, JSON, and CSS
- Experience with iterative and test-driven development practice
- Experience with Git and open source development would be a plus
- Current undergraduate York student (we encourage applicants from diverse programs of study)
- Experience and familiarity with York (Keele) campus life, policies, and procedures as they relate to Finance, Campus Services, Human Resource, Health and Safety etc.
Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills: professional email/phone correspondence, public speaking and presentation proficiency
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds/cultures
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, database management, spreadsheets)
- Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and take on initiative
- Demonstrates organizational and time management skills
- Students who are a good fit for this position are approachable, knowledgeable, and well organized. They will show ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team.